MoI orders arrest of serial killer
KABUL/TIRINKOT (PAN): The Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Monday ordered the arrest of serial killer Hakim Shujayee, who has allegedly tortured dozens of individuals in central Uruzgan province and other parts of the country.
The ministry said in a statement police had been directed to detain Shujayee, a resident of southern Ghazni province, as soon as possible. He is currently living along with his gunmen in the Khas Uruzgan district of Uruzgan province.
Uruzgan police spokesman Farid Ayel confirmed to Pajhwok Afghan News they had received orders for the warlord’s arrest. However, he explained the fugitive was not hiding in the province.
“We will do our bit to find and detain him,” the police spokesman said, recalling they had received similar instructions from the ministry some months back. The fugitive, who is believed to be an Afghan Local Police commander, has no government job.
In early January, then Interior Minister Gen. Mujtaba Patang had promised the serial killer would be detained within a week.
Summoned by the Wolesi Jirga, he said they could not arrest the outlaw because he had fled to a remote area between Uruzgan and Ghazni provinces.
A public representative from Uruzgan, Obaidullah Barakzai, said Shujayee hailed from the Ajristan district of Ghazni and shifted to Uruzgan three years ago.
He had killed 121 people, including tribal elders, the MP said. “Shujayee could not be a local police commander in Uruzgan, because he is from Ghazni...”
In November 2012, a parliamentary commission accused Shujayee of involvement in sexual abuse, armed robberies and killing civilians.
The Wolesi Jirga Complaints Commission warned residents would take action against the man if security forces failed to arrest him within 24 hours.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.