11 rebels killed in Kandahar
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): Nearly a dozen militants have been killed during security operations by Afghan forces in southern Kandahar province, an official said on Tuesday.
Nine insurgents were killed during an operation involving Afghan National Army (ANA) and Afghan Local Police (ALP) personnel in Lakan area of Panjwai district late on Monday, the governor’s spokesman told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Javid Faisal added civilians and the forces did not suffer casualties during the offensive that resulted into the seizure of four Kalashnikovs, a walkie-talkie and four motorcycles.
The operation came after an intelligence report that some militants were planning to attack government installations in the area, the gubernatorial spokesman said.
Panjwai district chief Haji Fazal Mohammad Ishaqzai said ALP members deployed to various parts had been able to keep the insurgents at bay. He said the operation in the town would continue for another several days.
Another two militants were killed in a blast caused by their own bomb in Mandozi area of Maiwand district.
Faisal said the pair wanted to target government forces when fell prey themselves to the blast.
According to another report, an arms depot was discovered during a search operation in Aman district.
The arms seized included a rocket launcher, seven rocket shells, two bombs, a mortar shell, two machineguns, three Kalashnikovs and some explosives, Faisal said. Two suspects were detained in connection with the depot, he added.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.