Foreign troops’ stay no solution: Mohammadi
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (PAN): Defence Minister Gen. Bismillah Khan Mohammadi on Wednesday said Afghan security forces should be strengthened instead of keeping foreign troops in the country beyond 2014.
“It is not the solution to keep foreign forces in Afghanistan,” Mohammadi told reporters at a security gathering in Mazar-i-Sharif, the capital of northern Balkh province.
The gathering involved commanders of the 209th Shaheen Military Corps and governors of the nine northern provinces. The minister said Afghans forces should be strengthened until they were able to stand on their feet. He said Afghan forces enjoyed masses’ support -- the most powerful tool to defend the country.
The gathering discussed the region’s security situation, existing problems and solutions to them.
Mohammadi said there had been an upsurge in Taliban activities over the past five months, claiming peace talks with the insurgents had begun and hoped for a positive outcome.
He said the rebels had failed to reach their goals despite being supported by foreign intelligence agencies. The Afghan forces have proved their worth in the country’s defence; they defeated militants in the Warduj district of northern Badakhshan, Qisar and Almar districts of Faryab, the minister said.
On the next year’s elections, Mohammadi said they had not yet confronted with any serious problem in the process.
High security would be maintained for the April 5 elections until the results were declared, he said, hinting at threats existed in some districts to be overcome until the Election Day.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.