Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Hesarak areas cleared of Taliban

Hesarak areas cleared of Taliban

Aug 31, 2013 - 13:52

JALALABAD (PANinfo-icon): The Afghan army on Saturday claimed gaining ground against the Talibaninfo-icon insurgents in a just-concluded operation in the Hesarak district of eastern Nangarhar province.

Codenamed as Shaheen-15, the search operation that involved Afghan National Army’s 201st Shaheen Military Corps resulted in the killing of a key Taliban commander, Zarqawi, along with his 17 fighters.

Col. Nauman Hatifi, the corps spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News all targeted areas and highways in the district had been cleared. At least 25 militants were wounded during the operation, he said.

Zarqawi was a key Taliban commander in the district, which borders the Azra town of central Logar province. The injured rebels included Kashmir Khan, another senior Taliban figure, the official said, adding Khan had his legs severed.

Nine troops sustained injuries and one was killed, said Hatifi, who spoke days after Nangarhar security officials claimed Zarqawi and Kashmir Khan had been killed in Sherzad district.

But both later phoned Pajhwok Afghan News to say they were alive. The Taliban have so far said nothing about the Hesarak operation.

A tribal elder, Dr. Sabir, confirmed the military operation, but said the fighters continued to hold sway and intimidate residents. He suggested the creation of security posts in the areas cleared of insurgents to keep them from staging a comeback.

Col. Hatifi also said security forces had seized an explosives-laden vehicle and detained two individuals in Khogyani district.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update