147 civilians killed in Ghor since March: official
CHAGHCHARAN (PAN): The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission on Thursday blamed increasing casualties among civilians on the existence of illegal armed groups in western Ghor province, where 147 people were killed since March.
Another 128 civilians were wounded in roadside bombings and armed clashes in Ghor since March 21, AIHRC provincial head, Mohammad Jawad Razaee told a press conference in Chaghcharan, the provincial capital.
He said the figures showed a 50 percent surge in civilians casualties this solar year, compared to the same period last year.
He said illegal armed commanders were responsible for 61 percent civilian casualties, Taliban 38 percent and security forces one percent.
The official said 91 people lost their lives and 38 others sustained injuries after being caught in clashes between illegal commanders.
“Saving civilian lives and properties during unrest is an Islamic duty and a requirement of national and international laws, but unfortunately the laws have not been obeyed by the groups involved,” he said. He asked warring groups to respect to the lives and properties of people.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.