3 Australian soldiers injured in Uruzgan attack
KABUL (PAN): Three Australian soldiers with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) have been wounded in a militant attack in central Afghanistan, the Department of Defence in Canberra said on Friday.
The members of special forces came under attack during a joint patrol with the Afghan National Security Force in the Charchino district of Uruzgan province last week.
A number of insurgents were killed in the engagement, including a mid-level commander responsible for supplying weapons and ammunition, the force said in a statement.
“The three Australians suffered minor fragmentation wounds and were given the necessary medical treatment at the scene and then later at a base camp,” it added.
Of the 1,500 Australian troops stationed in Uruzgan, 40 have been killed so far. The latest incident brings the number of Australian personnel injured in Afghanistan this year to 13.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.