31 fighters join peace process in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (PAN): Thirty-one militants have laid down their weapons and joined the peace process in the eastern province of Nangarhar, officials said on Monday.
At a ceremony here, Governor Gul Agha Sherzai said the rebels surrendered as a result of efforts by National Directorate of Security (NDS) officials and the high peace committee.
“I am pleased that our disgruntled brothers have joined the peace process,” he said, urging other militants to join the reconciliation drive and actively participate in next year’s elections.
Peace committee head Malik Nazeer told Pajhwok Afghan News the ex-fighters had been active in Achin, Nazyan and Batikot districts. “We will help them with reconstruction projects in their areas,” he promised.
They would pay monthly salaries to the militants joining the reconciliation campaign, he said, adding the fighters had surrendered 26 weapons to the government.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.