NDS detains Kandahar haj director
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): Intelligence agents on Sunday detained the haj and religious affairs director for southern Kandahar province after more than 100 intending pilgrims could not find their way to Makkah to perform the annual ritual, an official said.
Kandahar had been allocated a quota of 950 pilgrims this year, but 100 of them were deprived of performing the ritual despite completing all legal formalities, the spokesman said.
Aziz would be investigated about his failure, the official said, explaining the authorities concerned were trying to find a way of sending the remaining pilgrims for Haj, though flight operation had been completed.
Mohibullah, an intending Haji who could not make it to the holy land, claimed 130 individuals had been left out. They had already deposited money and passports with the authorities, he complained.
“We would go to the airport and wait for our flight departure daily, but when the last batch left, we had to return dejected,” he remarked. He did not know why they had been left out, but there are rumours the authorities concerned had sent other people instead of them.
Maulvi Noor-ul-Aziz had joined the peace process two years ago before being appointed as head of Kandahar Hajj and Religious Affairs. Before joining the peace process, he had reportedly been named as Taliban’s shadow governor for Kunduz.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.