Bulldozers used to retake govt land in Kunduz
KUNDUZ CITY (PAN): A government-owned land measuring 400 acres was retaken and some individuals detained in this connection during a rare action in the capital of northeastern Kunduz province on Saturday, a senior official said.
Bulldozers were used to demolish a wall which had been built around the plot south of Kunduz City, deputy governor Hamdullah Danshi said.
He said a number of individuals were arrested for illegally occupying the land, which he said belonged to the government.
He said the action came in compliance with the presidential decree number 45.
Local officials say powerful individuals have usurped 9,000 jirbs of government land in Kunduz, but some unconfirmed reports say up to 30,000 jirbs have been grabbed by constructing homes.
Kunduz police chief Col. Ibadullah Talwar said no one was allowed to encroach on government land and action would continue against those having grabbed public properties.
The governor’s house has tasked a committee with retaking plots from all their illegal occupants.
The governor’s spokesman, Inayatullah Khaliq, said illegal occupants of government lands had been warned in advance to vacate the plots, but they did not care, leaving the governor’s house with no option, but to initiate action against them.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.