Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Ousted presidential runners vow joint fight on IEC

Ousted presidential runners vow joint fight on IEC

Oct 22, 2013 - 22:06

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Some disqualifying presidential candidates on Tuesday alleged the electoral body removed their names from the initial list despite meeting all candidacy conditions.

The Independent Election Commission (IECinfo-icon) earlier announced a preliminary list of presidential hopefuls, disqualifying more than half of 26 registered candidates for the April vote.

IEC head Ahmad Yousuf Nuristani said dual citizenship and failure to provide enough voters’ signatures were among the reasons the IEC removed 16 candidates from the list.

Each candidate had been required to collect 100,000 signatures from would-be voters representing all of the country’s 34 provinces.

Most of the 10 approved are seen as pro-Karzai and favorites figures like former foreign minister Zalmai Rassoul and elder brother Qayyum Karzai.

Others approved include Abdullah Abdullah, a foreign minister and runner up in the 2009 election; Ashraf Ghani, the former Transition Commission head, Karzai adviser and former finance minister. Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf is another frontrunner who survived the cull.

A disapproved presidential hopeful, Hamidullah Qaderi, told Pajhwok Afghan News he had not been explained the reasons which led to his removal from the initial list.

He asked the IEC to share with him and his representatives if his documents had any problems, saying the decision of his disqualification was not acceptable to him. He accused the IEC of having adopted a two-faced policy with candidates.

Qaderi said he would visit the IEC office tomorrow and would ask election officials about the reasons behind his removal from the list.

He said 10 unsuccessful candidates, including him, had decided to form a coalition and fight for their rights. The 10 men included Ahadi, Farooq Azam, Daud Sultanzoy, Dawar Ahmad Naadi and Sarwar Ahmadzai, he said, hoping other disapproved candidates would join them.

Sultanzoy confirmed Qaderi’s remarks, calling the IEC decision as unjustified. He said he had relinquished his American nationality and had provided the IEC with proof in this regard.

Ahadi also said the decision was not acceptable to him because he met all conditions for the candidacy. “It was a merciless act. We are totally against it,” the former commerce minister said, adding the IEC did not consult him about problems in his documents.

The IEC chief, Nuristani, said documents of all candidates were impartially assessed, saying the disqualified candidates could complain to the IEC.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update