Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Rejected Nangarhar candidates blast IEC

Rejected Nangarhar candidates blast IEC

Oct 24, 2013 - 14:50

JALALABAD (PANinfo-icon): A number of disqualified provincial council candidates in eastern Nangarhar province on Thursday accused the Independent Election Commission (IECinfo-icon) of giving them a step-motherly treatment in preparing the preliminary list of contenders.

Of 128 registered candidates for the April 5 vote, 113 have survived the cull in Nangarhar.

When the IEC issued the preliminary list two days ago, 15 candidates found their names absent.

One of them was Bilal Karim Momand, who told Pajhwok Afghan News he had been barred from contesting the polls despite covering all legal procedures.

 “I am a youth, a university student and had no blood on hands of innocent people,” an angry Momand said, adding illiterate and ineligible individuals had made it to the election. 

“I went to the local IEC office, where I was told my voter cards have already been shown by another nominee and that the preliminary list has been prepared in Kabulinfo-icon, where it has been proved,” he said, asking the main IEC office to address his concerns.

Another disqualifying runner, Mohammad Zubair Khaksar, said he held two diplomas and had provided the election office with the required signatures of voters, but was not considered as eligible.

“Some individuals, who remain on the list, are completely illiterate, they are war criminals and have blood on their hands of innocent people.”

Inayatullah Hijrat, who also failed to survive the cull, accused the electoral body of giving him a step-motherly treatment in making it to the election. He claimed some candidates had been cleared as a result of underhand deals.

 “We can’t expect a transparent ballot because the fraud has begun from the start,” he said, asking the Electoral Complaints Commission (ECCinfo-icon) to review his case.

Nangarhar IEC head Dr. Ajmal Akhtar said the preliminary list had been prepared in Kabul and those not dissatisfied with the decision should approach the main office.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update