IECC set to start probing complaints
IECC Secretary and spokesman Nader Mohseni told reporters in Kabul the watchdog had so far received 650 complaints against candidates, as well as the electoral process. He said 27 of the objections were against presidential hopefuls and the rest against provincial council aspirants.
Mohseni said representatives of civil society, political parties, journalists and observers were free to keep an eye on the investigation process. “As the watchdog starts probing complaints, all Afghans are allowed to monitor our work.”
Complaints registered in 25 provinces have already reached the IECC head office, which expects to receive objections from the remaining nine provinces tomorrow. Once the allegations are addressed, the final list of contenders will be released in mid-November.
In response to a query, he said campaigning before the release of the final list was a violation of the election law. After the list is displayed, presidential runners will be allowed to canvass for 60 days from February 2 and provincial council candidates for 30 days from March 4.
“We want candidates to respect electoral principles, comply with the relevant law and avoid disturbing the public order with violations of rules. They shouldn’t give people any room for further complaints,” Mohseni remarked.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.