Mobile teams fail to cover 10 towns
JALALABAD (PAN): Owing to security concerns, mobile voter registration teams could not be dispatched to 10 districts in eastern Nangarhar province, an official said on Monday.
Provincial Independent Election Commission (IEC) head Dr. Mohammad Ajmal Akhtar told Pajhwok Afghan News mobile teams were scheduled to be sent to all districts, but insecurity restricted them to only 12 towns.
He said security officials did not allow the creation of mobile teams in the remaining 10 districts, including Hesarak, Khogyani, Batikot, Chaparhar, Pachiragam and others. The election official said so far 140,000 people had been distributed voter cards in Nangarhar, with women constituting 31 percent of them.
He said women obtained voter cards comparatively in greater numbers in Surkhrod, Kama, Koz Kunar, Behsud and Rodat districts.
Dr. Ajmal Akhtar refused to give exact figures for those having obtained voter cards in troubled towns, saying the central office in Kabul had put a ban on releasing the figures to the media.
He said the registration campaign had been slow in initial stage, but later gained momentum beyond their expectations, thanks to public awareness programmes and the creation of mobile teams.
However, still women’s participation in the registration drive remained lukewarm, the official said.
Akhtar said security organs had assured them bringing improvement in the security situation across the province until the voting day.
About the rejected provincial candidates, he said the provincial IEC office had received nearly a dozen complaints from the ruled out contenders and had shared those complaints with the central office.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.