Scores of militants lay down arms
PUL-I-KHUMRI (PAN): A group of 47 militants, turning in a large quantity of weapons, has joined the peace process in northern Baghlan province, an official said on Sunday.
Governor Sultan Mohammad Ibadi told Pajhwok Afghan the surrendering men had been asked to persuade their former associates to renounce the insurgency.
The group had been involved in insurgent activities in the provincial capital and several districts, the governor said, calling for an end to the war and cooperation from all Afghans to rebuild the country.
Mullah Naseer, the group commander, said: “Taliban had deceived us in the name of jihad and occupation of our country by foreign invaders.” He linked their return to normal life to efforts by the peace council and security forces.
He asked the government to provide them with employment opportunities to enable the ex-fighters to find fair sources of income.
In response, the governor promised them jobs in agriculture, livestock and vocational training sectors.
Since the peace process was initiated in 2010, more than 800 militants have laid down their arms in Baghlan. Most of them are now busy working on different projects.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.