Kandahar school reopens after 8 years
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): A middle school for boys reopened in the Zheri district of southern Kandahar province on Tuesday, eight years after it was closed due to insecurity, an official said.
The school was closed two years after it had been made operational 10 years ago, the provincial education director said, adding clashes and insecurity had caused comprehensive damages to the building.
Mohammad Owz Nazari, who reopened the school, said after a long time, the reopening came in cooperation with local residents.
He said up to 1200 students would study in the school before it was closed and 150 students turned up on the day one of its reopening, hoping their number would increase with the passage of time.
He said all damaged portions of the school building would be repaired and professional teachers appointed at the Asad Sori Middle School, where students would be made available text books and other materials.
Marjan, one of the affected students, said he was pleased to know his school had been reopened.
“Eight years ago I was in class three. But fierce clashes began in our area and our school was closed. If it had not been closed, I would have been studying in class 10th.”
The 17-year-old said he had no choice but to restart his learning from the same class three.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.