ISAF denies stoppage of fuel delivery to ANSF
KABUL (PAN): Following reports of cutting in fuel provisions for the Afghan Security Forces by the US, the International Assistance Security Forces (ISAF) clarified on Monday there had been no stoppage in the delivery of requested fuel and it would continue to process all orders to the Afghan security forces.
“We are aware of a statement on the Afghan presidential web site concerning issues with fuel provisions for the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF). We continue to process all orders as soon as they are received from the ANSF,” the statement added.
Earlier on Sunday, two Afghan key ministers accused the United States of cutting military supplies, including fuel, to some Afghan army and police units, calling the move against earlier American pledges.
The defence and interior ministers told this to a National Security Council (NSC) meeting, chaired by President Hamid Karzai, a statement from the Presidential Palace’s media cell said.
Defence Minister Bismillah Khan Mohammadi and Interior Minister Omar Daudzai said their ministries could not maintain the affairs of the affected units as a result of the cut.
The NSC meeting concluded that the cutting of fuel supplies and support services to the Afghan army and police is being used as a means of pressure to ensure Afghanistan signs the Bilateral Security Agreement with the US. It said the move by US and NATO forces was in violation of their previous pledges and commitment to cooperation.
“We remain committed to supporting our ANSF partners and will continue to do so,” the statement said.
The council members said the Loya Jirga’s decision on the agreement showed the people of Afghanistan wanted the accord with the US in the hope for durable peace, something which could be achieved through cooperation, not applying pressure tactics.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.