Rebel threats force girls to skip entry test
MAIMANA (PAN): Alleging militant threats, 100 students, including 20 girls, stayed away from a university entry test in northwestern Faryab province, officials said Wednesday.
Nearly 7,000 students took part in exams for admission to the Faryab University. Governor Mohammadullah Tabish told Pajhwok Afghan News the test was conducted in a peaceful environment.
A total of 6,900 candidates appeared in the test this year, compared with 3,600 in 2013, he said, adding the examinees were granted all possible facilities.
University Chancellor Gul Ahmad Fazli said 95 percent of 12th graders -- 48 percent of them girls -- had taken part in the entry test. However, he deplored the absence of around 5 percent candidates due to militant threats.
Zarmina Sadat, a candidate, said she had been declared successful. She intends to study engineering at the Faryab University.
Separately, the Ministry of Higher Education said the entry test process had been in motion in all 34 provinces for the last one month, with 250,000 students taking part in the exams.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.