Militant group shuns insurgency in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): A seven-member militant group has joined the government-initiated peace process in eastern Nangarhar province, an official said on Saturday.
The provincial peace committee chief, Malak Nazir, told Pajhwok Afghan News the group reconciled with the government as a result of joint efforts by the committee and National Directorate of Security (NDS) officials.
The group that had been active in Ghanikhel, Batikot and some districts also turned in their various guns to the police, he said.
Deputy Governor Mohammad Hanif Gardiwal said the development showed the reconciliation campaign had improved, calling on insurgent groups to renounce violence and join efforts at rebuilding the war-torn country.
The surrendering group commander, Naqibullah, said they had been active against the government in many districts. “One of our friends, who had joined the peace process, approached us and called on us to reconcile and we accepted the proposal,” he added.
Naqibullah claimed he had been receiving 15,000 Pakistani rupees in monthly salary from Pakistan’s intelligence agency for leading a group fighting against the Afghan government.
The Taliban often deny individuals who join the peace process belong to the movement.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.