2 civilians also died in Zherai attack
KANDAHAR (Pajhwok): Two civilians had been killed the suicide attack when bombers stormed the joint US-Afghan troops’ forward operating base in Zherai district of southern Kandahar province, officials said Tuesday.
The brazen attack that occurred in the militancy-plagued Zherai district began around 11am when a suicide bomber ploughed his explosives-laden car into the wall of the joint US-Afghan troops’ forward operating base.
Gen. Abdul Hameed Hameed commander of Afghan National Army (ANA) said the attack involved nine attackers and all of them were killed in an exchange of fire which lasted 20 minutes with foreign troops.
He said the first attacker exploded his explosive laden-car in front of the gate while the remaining eight attackers, who were dressed in ISAF military uniforms, tried to force their way into the base but failed and were killed by ISAF and Afghan soldiers.
ISAF said the blast caused damages to the outer perimeter of the base and that the base was currently secured and all enemy forces had been killed.
The attack came three days after 21 people, mostly foreigners, were killed in a similar complex attack on a foreign restaurant in the heart of Kabul.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.