Security officials among 25 killed in Ghazni
GHAZNI CITY (Pajhwok): Four security personnel were killed on Wednesday in a suicide attack in the Qarabagh district of southern Ghazni province, officials said.
Elsewhere in the province, 21 insurgents including four regional Taliban commanders were killed during airstrikes and clashes in Andar district.
Governor Musa Khan Akbarzada told Pajhwok Afghan News that the suicide bomber detonated his explosives-laden car near security personnel’s vehicles in the afternoon.
Two Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers and as many policemen were killed in the attack in the Karo Sayee area of Qarabagh, the governor said.
Located on the Kabul-Kandahar highway, Karo Sayee has a 50-shop bazaar. ANA and police personnel launched an operation in the area this morning.
Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban spokesman, said one fighter was killed during a clash in the district. Without commenting on the suicide bombing, he claimed the security forces also suffered casualties.
The 21 militants were killed during NATO airstrikes and face-to-face fighting with security forces in different areas of Andar, said the district chief, Mohammad Qasim Desiwal.
He said the rebels’ bodies, motorcycles and weapons were still lying at the scenes. The operation is ongoing to clear the district of militants.
Police chief, Brig. Gen. Zarawar Zahid, confirmed heavy casualties had been inflicted on the militants. However, he did not exact figures.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.