Nuristani denies complicity in wheat theft
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The unseated Nuristan governor on Tuesday rejected allegations of his involvement in theft of wheat aid to the deserving people.
A day earlier, the Cabinet Secretariat said Tamim Nuristani and two other officials had been sacked for the theft of hundreds of tonnes of wheat.
The decision taken at a Cabinet meeting, which 2nd Vice President Mohammad Karim Khalili briefed on the findings of a delegation tasked with probing the scandal.
Based on the inquiry result, the Cabinet approved the sacking of the governor and directors of the disaster management committee and rural development.
Speaking exclusively to Pajhwok Afghan News, Nuristani insisted on his innocence, asking the government to send a high-powered team to the province to investigate the issue thoroughly.
The previous probe was a conspiracy against him, the ex-governor claimed, arguing the delegation from Kabul had spent only three hours in Nuristan.
How the investigators, who took an hour having lunch, completed their task in two hours, he asked, saying he had documents about distribution of 30 percent of the 3,000-tonne wheat to residents.
He explained the rest of wheat was lying in depots, none of which was visited by investigators. Supporters of presidential candidates Dr. Abdullah and Prof. Abdul Rab Rassoul Sayyaf in the inquiry team had misreported to the Cabinet, he said.
According to him, the two political leaders’ supporters want to get a man of their choice appointed as new governor and rig the April presidential election in Nuristan.
“Let a neutral team come from Kabul to investigate the matter. If found guilty of misappropriating a single grain of wheat, I’ll execute myself,” the ex-governor remarked.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.