Thousands sit entry test exam in Kabul
KABUL (Pajhwok): Thousands of high school graduates, with females constituting 40 percent of them, appeared in the first round of the university entrance test taken in Kabul on Sunday, the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) said.
Higher Education Minister Obaidullah Obaid said a total of 10,911 students sat the exam.
He said 75,000 qualifying students would be enrolled to higher public sector education institutes, 50,000 to semi-higher and 34,000 to private sector universities.
The minister said the number of examinees exceeded their last year’s strength by more than 250,000.
However, he said the public sector higher education institutes could not absorb all the qualifying students due to a lack of capacity.
The minister said measures had been put in place to ensure transparency in the exam process.
He said only 10 to 15 invigilators would oversee the exam in the past, but this year, more than 60 individuals had been appointed to perform the task.
A high school graduate from Paghman district of Kabul province, Safia, said she was satisfied with arrangements made for the entry test. She said she was interested in English literature.
Meanwhile, the entry test in western Herat province was canceled following news that the paper had been leaked.
Acting on the directives from the Higher Education Ministry, security officials detained a lecture and 42 students in connection with the leak.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.