University entry test begins in Balkh
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): A Higher Education Ministry official said on Monday the process of conducting the university entrance test had begun in northern Balkh province, where more than 25,000 high school graduates were expected to sit the exams over the next three days.
Prof. Usman told Pajhwok Afghan News the test being conducted in five municipality districts of Mazar-i-Sharif, the provincial capital, would involve a total of 25,300 high school graduates, with girls making 40 percent of them.
He said all technical and security arrangements for the exams had been completed. Kabul and Herat were the only provinces, where the test was yet to be concluded and added more than 150,000 students had so far sat the exam across the country.
Balkh provincial council chief Dr. Mohammad Afzal Hadid said the council had decided to oversee the exam process.
A Mazar-i-Sharif resident, Ahmad Wais, told Pajhwok he had applied for the test, but his name was missing from the list of examinees. He hoped his problem might be solved during the three-day exam process.
But Prof. Usman said names of some candidates had been dropped due to some technical issues. He added efforts were ongoing to include names of those missing but eligible candidates to the list. There were some candidates who had been unable to meet the criteria, the professor explained.
Balkh University Chancellor Prof. Mokammil Alokozai told Pajhwok the university had the capacity to absorb 3,000 students in its 14 faculties in the first chance.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.