9 army officers sacked over Kunar assault
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said on Tuesday nine senior officers had been sacked and placed under investigation in the wake of the Kunar attack, which killed 21 Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers.
A large number of government officials, lawmakers and residents attended a ceremony for delivery of the soldiers’ bodies to their families at the Sardar Mohammad Daud Khan Hospital in Kabul. National anthem was played as their bodies were wrapped up in national flag.
MoD spokesman Gen. Zahir Azimi said: “The ministry lauded the nation’s support as a source of strength for Afghan security forces.” He added Gen. Sher Mohammad Karimi, chief of army staff, after visiting the site, briefed the council meeting about the incident.
The meeting, after hearing the report, decided to fire a number of senior officials and refer them to relevant organs for investigations.
Assigned to different sections of the 201st ANA Corps, the sacked officers include commanders of the second battalion, 3rd kandak, fourth unit, the third kandak operational chief, the second brigade commander and intelligence officers.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.