57 rebels eliminated in Hesarak offensive
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Fifty-seven militants have been killed in a five-day operation in the Hesarak district of eastern Nangarhar province, security officials claimed on Wednesday.
Addressing a press conference, 201st Selab Military Corps Commander Dadan Lawang said the operation conducted by Afghan National Army and Public Order police had concluded.
There had been several clashes, which resulted in the killing of 57 fighters, Lawang said, adding: “All foreign agents have been eliminated. Four of them were wounded and a fifth caught alive.”
He called the Hesarak offensive revenge for the killing of 21 ANA soldiers in the Ghaziabad district of Kunar province.
Brig. Gen. Fazal Ahmad Sherzad, the Nangarhar police chief, told the press conference all insurgent sanctuaries had been destroyed in the Hesarak operation, aimed at creating the right environment for the April elections.
They enjoyed full cooperation from the locals in clearing eight villages of militants. “Residents are fed up with the rebels and staged an uprising against them.” More than 400 people have joined the uprising.
Security had been ensured for all 25 polling stations with the creation of eight more check-posts in different parts of the district, Sherzad said, adding locals themselves would man manage the new posts.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.