PC runners reassured security
KABUL (Pajhwok): As provincial council candidates plunged into a month-long campaigning, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said on Tuesday stringent security measures had been put in place for their security.
The ministry asked the contenders to stay in close contact with police during the campaign to avoid any untoward incident.
Provincial council candidates on Tuesday officially kicked off campaigning that would end 48 hours before the voting day (April 5).
More than 2,700 individuals, including 306 females, are contesting on provincial council seats across the country.
MoI spokesman Siddiqui Siddique told a press conference in Kabul providing security to provincial candidates was the government’s top priority.
He said police chiefs in provinces had been issued strict directives to adopt all possible measures in ensuring security of candidates.
He asked candidates and their campaigners to share their campaign programmes in advance with police so that proper security steps could be taken.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.