Taliban vow to disrupt April elections
KABUL (Pajhwok): With less than one month to go until the April 5 elections, the Taliban on Monday renewed their threat to disrupt what they called “the latest plot of invaders” by attacking everyone associated with the electoral process.
In a statement issued to Pajhwok, the militant outfit said foreigners led by the United States wanted to install a new puppet government under the pretext of so-called elections in Afghanistan.
The rebels called on the Afghans to stay away from and derail the elections, saying their new president had already been chosen in the United States. “That’s why the people should not put themselves in danger by going to polling stations.”
The group said it would not spare voters, security men, polling officials or any other workers associated with the elections and threatened the Afghans not to participate and that they would themselves be responsible for any repercussions if they did vote or help in the polls.
The Ministry of Interior (MOI) said the Afghan forces were well-prepared to counter the Taliban’s propaganda. The ministry said security had been tightened around polling stations and asked people to vote with confidence.
The MoI has created a joint commission of the security organs to keep monitoring the security situation during the elections.
Najibullah Danish, the MoI deputy spokesman, said the Taliban’s warning was nothing but a mere propaganda aimed to mislead people’s mind.
He told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces were fully prepared to maintain security for the upcoming elections and no one would be able and allowed to disrupt the process.
He said Afghan security forces had strengthened and the election campaign had so far been hitch-free.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.