Suicide attack on Indian Consulate foiled in Kandahar
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): Police gunned down on Thursday a suicide attacker before he could detonate his explosives near the Indian Consulate in southern Kandahar province, an official said.
The alleged suicide bomber was shot dead around 1:00pm in Kandahar City after he attempted to gain entry into a street that houses Indian and Iranian consulates, Zia Durrani, the provincial government spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News. The attacker was killed before reaching his intended target and detonating the suicide vest, he said.
The Taliban have said nothing so far about the botched suicide attack that comes a day after three suicide bombers were gunned down after a fierce gun-battle with police and intelligence officials in Kandahar City.
In August 2013, three suicide bombers and nine others, including Afghan security personnel, were killed after the Indian mission in Jalalabad was attacked.
Six Indians died when two guest houses in Kabul were attacked in 2010. Fifty-eight Afghans, two senior Indian diplomats and two Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) personnel were killed in July 2008, when a car bomb ripped through the Indian Embassy in Kabul.
There was an attack in 2009 on the embassy again, but no Indians were killed. Nearly two dozen Afghans, mostly civilians, died.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.