Kunar assault: ANA troops honoured posthumously
KABUL/ASADABAD (Pajhwok): President Hamid Karzai on Thursday honoured eight Afghan National Army (ANA) troops with the highest government awards for bravery in recognisation of their role during a massive Taliban attack in eastern Kunar province, where two of the six soldiers missing since the Feb 23 attack had been freed.
The soldiers were recognised posthumously for repulsing the attack on an ANA border post in the Ghaziabad district and rescuing the lives of many counterparts.
The attack that involved hundreds of heavy armed militants, including Pakistani, Chechen and Arab left 21 ANA soldiers dead, three injured and six missing.
The ceremony to posthumously honour the ANA troops was held at the Presidential Palace, where Defence Minister Bismillah Mohammadi and Chief of Army Staff Sher Mohammad Karimi were present, a statement from the palace said.
The statement said the soldiers bravely fought against Taliban and other intruders and rescued the lives of many soldiers in the Ghaziabad incident.
It said President Hamid Karzai thanked and praised Afghan security forces for defending the country’s territorial integrity.
Meanwhile, two ANA soldiers missing since the Ghaziabad attack had been freed in cooperation from tribal elders in Kunar, the provincial governor told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Shujaul Mulk Jalala said one of the soldiers freed belonged to central Panjsher province and the other to Kunduz.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.