Civilians among 9 dead in separate incidents
FAIZABAD/KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): Nine people, including civilians, have been killed in separate incidents of violence in northeastern Badakhshan and southern Kandahar provinces, officials said on Saturday.
Militants stormed a police check-post on the Fiazabad-Yaftal highway, sparking a gun-battle that left five attackers dead and two others wounded on Friday evening.
Badakhshan governor’s spokesman Naveed Frotan told Pajhwok Afghan News the incident took place in the Lai Aba area on the highway.
Two rocket launchers, a Kalashnikov and a walkie-talkie were also seized from the clash site, he added.
However, the Taliban have so far said nothing about the clash.
In Kandahar, three civilians were killed when their vehicle hit a landmine in the Shah Walikot district this morning, the governor’s house said in a statement.
It added another two civilians died and two others were wounded when their car overturned due to high speed in Arghandab district.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.