Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Civil society seeks 2-month lull in peace bid

Civil society seeks 2-month lull in peace bid

Mar 27, 2014 - 20:19

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Condemning the killing of a journalist in a militant attack on the Serena hotel in Kabulinfo-icon last week, civil societyinfo-icon activists and journalists on Thursday called on the government to announce a boycott of peace talks with insurgents for a period of two months.

Journalist Sardar Ahmad, his wife and their two children were among nine people killed in the assault on last Thursday evening. Sardar’s third child wounded in the attack is said to be still in a critical condition.

Carrying photos of the victims in their hands, a large number of civil society activists and journalists on Thursday held a protest gathering in Kunduz City. They condemned Ahmad’s death along with his family in the assault claimed by the Talibaninfo-icon.

A civil society organization head, Abdullah Rassouli, who attended the gathering, said journalists were neutral in their job and they should not be targeted by any party to the conflict.

Strongly condemning Ahmad’s and his relatives’ deaths, he asked President Karzai to stop calling the Taliban as brothers.

Another civil society activist, Habibullah Dost, said the whole nation mourned the killing of Ahmad’s two children in the merciless attack.

“I have no words to condemn the incident and explain my emotions, but I am among millions others having condemned the attack’s perpetrators,” he said.

At the end, the gathering issued statement asking the government to boycott peace talks with the insurgents for two months.

It called for the rebels to be forced into shunning violence by using force. “We want judicial courts to investigate incidents of violence against journalists.”

Sardar Ahmad, 40, had been working for AFP since 2003.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update