Sadat warns of threats to election process
KABUL (Pajhwok): Only one week before the April 5 vote, the independent electoral complaints commission (IECC) on Saturday warned of serious threats to the process.
IECC Chairman Abdul Sattar Sadat told a news conference in Kabul that insecurity posed a major threat to the presidential and provincial elections, slated for April 5.
He added election observers found it hard overseeing the process in insecure areas, where there were chances of fraud and irregularities.
“Some warlords, a product of decades of war, are trying to maintain their sway by victimising the people, grabbing important positions and abusing democracy.”
Sadat called the misuse of government resources another concern. “We are aware some candidates continue using government resources. Only two or three are not involved in this practice.”
He added the commission had taken measures to prevent the candidates from using government resources. Supporters of runners, civil society organisations and political parties could help address the problems, he continued.
Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) member Azizullah Aryafar said militants had resorted to suicide attacks to disrupt the election process.
He said Afghanistan’s enemies had always tried to disrupt the process but security forces had been able to foil their nefarious plans.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.