Ghazni officials rebuff Taliban’s threat
GHAZNI CITY (Pajhwok): Officials in southern Ghazni province on Thursday rebuffed Taliban’s threat to disrupt Saturday’s elections, saying security forces were poised to frustrate anti-state plots.
They said the Taliban could not prevent people from casting votes in the presidential and provincial council elections because security forces had tightened the noose around polling stations.
The reaction comes after suspected Taliban warned residents of Deh Yak and Andar districts against participating in the April 5 elections.
Locals said the Taliban had told them they had planted landmines everywhere and going to polling stations would engender their lives.
The governor’s spokesman, Shafiq Nang, told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces had been deployed to areas, where polling centres existed.
“Through such threats, the Taliban want to scare away people, but they have no ability to stop voters from visiting polling centres, where security has been ensured,” he said.
Security officials said all security arrangements for the elections had been finalized.
Police chief Brig. Gen. Zarawar Zahid told Pajhwok security at polling stations in Ghazni City and districts had been ensured.
“I give assurance to the people of Ghazni that there will be no problem these days, they should take part in the national process,” he said, insisting security forces had the potential to deal with any eventuality.
Of 395 polling stations in Ghazni, 330 sites have been secured and the remaining are facing threats posed by insurgents.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.