Civilians among 20 killed during elections
KABUL (Pajhwok): Interior Minister Mohammad Omar Daudzai and other senior government officials on Saturday said the Afghans braved security threats to make the landmark elections a success.
Security officials said many plots to spread panic on the Election Day had been thwarted and militants inflicted heavy casualties.
Daudzai told a news conference in Kabul the rebels were unable to disrupt the vote as they had been threatening.
He said Afghan forces had successfully prevented 140 attacks on polling sites. Nine policemen, seven Afghan National Army (ANA) personnel and four civilians were lost to the incidents that left 43 civilians wounded during the period.
“People’s widespread participation in the polls showed they had no care for insurgent attacks and raised their voice for peace to the world.”
“With tight security measures, Afghan forces proved today they can resist every threat from the enemy and can defend the nation against them,” Daudzai said. He also said some security officers were among those detained on charges of electoral fraud.
About rocket attacks from Pakistan into eastern provinces, the interior minister said neighbouring countries should respect what they had promised with Afghanistan and should cooperate with the Afghans in improving their security.
Acting National Directorate of Security (NDS) head Rahmatullah Nabil, who attended the press conference, said militants tried their best to derail the elections, but their attempts had been unsuccessful.
He said intelligence agents had detained 76 militants and 93 suspected individuals over the past 48 hours in different parts of the country.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.