Pakistani Taliban say no more extension in truce
ISLAMABAD (Pajhwok): Criticising Islamabad for adopting “a mysterious silence” over peace talks, the Pakistani Taliban Wednesday said they had decided not to extend the ceasefire.
The banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) said the government had failed to respond positively to its ceasefire lasting more than 40 days.
The group’s spokesman Shahidullah Shahid, in a detailed statement, said the government had failed to respond positively to Taliban's 'realistic' demands of establishing a peace zone, release of non-combatants and suspension of security forces operation in tribal areas.
He claimed their more than 50 comrades were killed and over 200 arrested during hundreds of raids conducted against the movement despite the ceasefire.
He said the deadline for the ceasefire had expired six days ago but still there was a “mysterious silence” among the government ranks over peace talks.
In light of these developments, he said, the TTP Shura had unanimously decided not to extend the ceasefire any more.
He, however, added that the militant outfit would be willing to respond to any positive response from the government so that the peace process continued.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif called an urgent meeting of the cabinet committee on national security on Thursday..
Federal ministers for defence, interior, information and adviser on national security had been invited to attend the meeting.
Chairman joint chiefs of staff committee, three services chiefs, DG IB, DG ISI are also expected to attend the meeting.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.