Kandahar candidate gunned down in Quetta
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): A provincial council candidate in southern Kandahar province has been gunned down by unknown assailants in the capital of Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province, officials said on Sunday.
Shah Mahmood Jalal, who contested on a provincial council seat in Kandahar during the April 5 elections, was killed a day earlier in Quetta, said Dawa Khan Minapal, the Kandahar information and culture director, who is also acting spokesman for the provincial governor.
He said Jalal had gone to Quetta for treatment and his corpse was brought to Kandahar late on Saturday evening from Quetta and taken to the Mirwais Hospital.
He said Jalal was a native of the Arghandab district, but he had recently located to Kandahar City with family.
A doctor at the Mirwais hospital told Pajhwok that Jalal had been shot in the face and his body was delivered to the hospital last night.
Kandahar Independent Election Commission (IEC) chief Abdul Hadi Dawari said they had come to know about Jalal’s assassination through the media.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.