Ghazni offensive being extended to other parts
GHAZNI CITY (Pajhwok): Most areas in southern Ghazni province have been purged of militants during the ongoing Afghan security forces “Zafar” operations, which would be extended to other parts of the province, security officials said on Monday.
Nazifullah Sultani, spokesman of the 203rd Thunder corps of the Afghan National Army (ANA), told Pajhwok Afghan News that a massive offensive “Zafar” had been launched in Moqar, Qarabagh, Ander and Gero districts to flush out militants.
At least 30 rebels were either killed or injured and scores others detained, including notorious commanders, during anti-militants offensives in parts of the province, he added.
“The joint security forces’ offensives had been launched some weeks back, which are still underway. We have plans to extend the operation to other districts as well,” he informed.
Mohammad Qasim Desiwal, administrative chief of Ander district, said the recently launched operation in his district improved security and the forces should establish security check posts in the area.
“Taliban often flee in the face of security forces operation but they stage comeback when security forces leave. It is important for security to establish permanent check posts,” he suggested.
Abullah Khairkhwah, Gero district chief, said security and law and order had been considerably improved in the area.
Rohullah, a local of Gero district, said security was improved during the past few months in the wake of security forces operation and surge in setting up security posts.
Sahib Khan, Maqor district chief, acknowledged law and order had been improved markedly but demanded that the operation should be extended to other parts of the district.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.