Many families displaced by Nazian fighting
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): More than a thousand families have been displaced by fighting between Pakistani and Afghan militants in the Nazian district of eastern Nangarhar province, an official said on Wednesday.
The Taliban and the Pakistani-based Lashkar-i-Islam have been fighting in the district over the past several days, district chief, Essa Khan Omar, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
“Most of the residents have been forced to leave for safer places in the wake of the fighting,” he said, adding both sides had warned civilians to quit the area.
“The district is connected with the Tira valley and Bara area of Khyber Agency across the Durand Line,” he said, asking the government and aid organisations to extend all out support to the 1,400 families displaced.
Malik Haji Khan, a tribal elder, confirmed Nazian residents had migrated to other areas because of severe clashes between the two groups. “Hundreds of families have been displaced to Marko area and the displacement continues.”
He said the government, Afghan Taliban groups and Lashkar-I-Islam group had control over parts of the district.
Gul Pacha, a member of one displaced family, said that they were living in miserable conditions. “Rebel groups have warned residents to leave before the clash intensifies,” he added.
Nangarhar governor’s spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, said a delegation had been appointed to visit the affected families and assess their requirements. He added provincial government would take measures to assist the war-affected families.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.