Flood death toll surges to 165
KABUL (Pajhwok): The death toll from devastating floods has surged to 165 fatalities in northern provinces, an official said on Thursday.
Most of the casualties were recorded in Faryab and Jawzjan provinces, the National Disaster Management Authority (ANDMA) deputy head, Mohammad Aslam Sias, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said 70 people, including women and children, lost their lives in Jawzjan and over 40 in Faryab as a result of recent flash floods that hit the northern provinces.
Dozens of people were injured, 2,000 houses and as agriculture land washed away and hundreds of domestic animals killed, he added.
According to Sias, 20 tonnes of flour and 10 tonnes of rice had been dispatched to each flood-hit province, with the aid distribution process underway.
The people who lost their houses have already received 30 million afghanis in cash, food items, tents, kitchenware and other aid through government and non-governmental (NGOs) organisations.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.