Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban’s offensive rejected as propaganda

Taliban’s offensive rejected as propaganda

May 08, 2014 - 21:13

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): As the Talibaninfo-icon announced the launch of their annual spring offensive, the Ministry of Defence said the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSFinfo-icon) were fully capable of countering any theat.

The Taliban have named their offensive “Operation Khaibar” after a 7-century victory by Prophet Mohammad (PBUH), saying the offensive was to begin at 5am on Monday.

“By taking this name as a good omen for the current year, we ask Allah to completely cleanse our country from the filth of the infidels and let their large bases be liberated, Allah willing,’’ the extremists said in an online statement.

They would “exert extra efforts and utilise complex military techniques compared to the past,” the statement said.

But the Ministry of Defence (MoD) called the threat in a statement as a mere propaganda and nothing else, saying Taliban’s previous offensive named after Khalid Bin Walid had been defeated.

Taliban said their main target this year would be “the foreign invaders and their backers,’’ including spies, military and civilian contractors, translators, administrators and logistics personnel.

They also said they would hit top domestic officials, and members of the legal system who convicted their comrades, using suicide attacks and infiltration.

The Taliban said they would continue their jihadinfo-icon “until the expulsion of every last infidel invader and establishment of an Islamic government’’

The Defence Ministry said Afghan forces had been in the lead in all offensives since last year and foreign troops had not been taking part in direct engagements since then.

The statement said Afghan forces had considerable achievements during that period and had inflicted unprecedented losses on the armed opposition forces.

The ministry said Afghan forces had launched their offensive codenamed “Fatah” (Victory) and they would not allow the insurgents to create problems.

“The people have faith in their national forces that they have the ability to ward off any threat from the opponents and frustrate their nefarious designs and control the situation.”



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update