31 rebels killed in Paktika offensive
KABUL (Pajhwok): As many as 31 militants have been killed and more than a dozen others wounded during a security operation lasting four days in southeastern Paktika province, the governor’s house said on Saturday.
The Afghan National Army (ANA)-led operation was condudcted in Shakin, Barmal, Sara Roza, Khairkot and Khoshamand districts, leaving 31 rebels killed, 14 wounded and six detained, the governor’s house said in a statement.
Two ANA troops were also killed during the offensive that resulted into the seizure of seven motorcycles, 10 roadside bombs and a huge quantity of weapons and ammunitions, the statement said, adding the offensive was aimed at improving security ahead of the second round of the presidential elections on June 14.
The Taliban have said nothing about the operation.
In eastern Nuristan province, a seven-member insurgent group joined the peace drive, said Ahmad Shah Haqmal, the provincial Peace Committee head.
He said the group that had been active in the Kamdesh district turned in four AK-47 assault rifles and a walkie-talkie.
Hayatullah, who led the group, said they had been misguided by foreigners and after renouncing violence, they would contribute to the country’s rebuilding.
He called on the government to provide the surrendering militants with work opportunities in order to eke out a living.
Governor Hafiz Abdul Qayum said efforts would be made to engage the reconciling individuals in constructive activities.
“I urge all the disgruntled elements to shun violence that destroys the country and take part in rebuilding their homeland,” the governor said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.