Dasht-i-Archi offensive displaces families
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Several families, fleeing a security operation against militants in Dasht-i-Archi district, have arrived in the capital of northern Kunduz province, an official said on Thursday.
The displaced families are in dire need of shelter, food, medicine and clean drinking water. Police spokesman Col. Syed Hussain Sarwari told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces were trying to conclude the operation as soon as possible to pave the way for the displaced families’ return.
He claimed many villages had been purged of militants in the troubled town as a result of the offensive codenamed “Zulfiqar1” -- involving personnel from Afghan National Army (ANA), police and the National Directorate of Security (NDS).
One of the displaced people, Haji Mohammad Naeem, told Pajhwok ongoing clashes between security forces and militants had forced them to flee homes and take refuge in Kunduz City.
He said the displaced families were in need of humanitarian assistance. “Here we live under the open sky and have no food or drinking water,” the elder complained, worrying about his belongings.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.