Taliban closing in on Nawbahar district
QALAT (Pajhwok): Local officials on Thursday warned the Nawbahar district of southern Zabul province faced serious problems and could fall into the hands of Taliban if no action was taken on an emergency footing.
Deputy Governor Mohammad Jan Rassoulyar told Pajhwok Afghan News that the Taliban militants had laid siege to Nawbahar district over the past few months, attacking local forces.
The district shares border with Nawa district of southern Ghazni province. Rassoulyar said the authorities in Kabul had already been informed about the situation in Nawbahar, but so far nothing had happened.
Dr. Zalmai Zabuli, who heads the upper house panel on complaints, confirmed Nawbahar had been surrounded by the Taliban.
He said he had shared the issue with Interior Minister Mohammad Omar Daudzai, who had ordered relevant authorities to send additional forces to Nawbahar as soon as possible.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.