Karzai vows protection of Indian personnel
KABUL (Pajhwok): President Hamid Karzai on Friday telephoned Indian Prime Minister-Designate Narendra Modi and strongly condemned a terrorist attack on the Indian consulate in the western province of Herat.
Calling the incident "an attack on Afghanistan, India and our shared interests”, the president briefed Modi on the timely response of Afghan security forces to repel the assailants, a statement from the Presidential Palace said.
He assured Modi and the Indian people of the safety of their citizens in Afghanistan, saying no civilian had been hurt in the attack. Karzai said that Indian diplomatic missions in Afghanistan had, in the past too, been attacked by terrorists.
However, the president stressed such attacks would only strengthen the two countries’ resolve and commitment to further strengthening their cooperation, especially in fighting terrorism as a common enemy.
Modi thanked Karzai for assurances of Indian citizens’ safety and the rapid response of the Afghan forces in containing the attack. He reaffirmed his country’s continued friendship, commitment and engagement in Afghanistan’s reconstruction and stability.
Modi will be sworn in as prime minister on Monday, May 26. Karzai is among the SAARC leaders expected to attend the event.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.