Probe into sexual abuse cases launched
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): A new organisation of women has launched an investigation into cases of women and child abuse in northern provinces, an official said on Monday.
Shafiqa Habibi, the organization’s chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News the probe would ascertain causes of violence against women and the government’s inefficiency to investigate the cases properly.
She said the investigation had been launched in Balkh, Sar-i-Pul, Samangan, Jawzjan and Faryab provinces. The organisation plans to interview 2,000 individuals in this regard.
The investigation has been completed in four of the provinces except Sar-i-Pul. Results of the probe would be released after completion of the task, she added.
In addition, the organisation plans to hold 150 workshops in the provinces for eliminating violence against women and children.
One major cause of violence against women, she said, was lack of religious knowledge. Awarding punishment to perpetrators could curb violence against women, she believed.
Rabia Muradi, Balkh women’s affairs director, said non-implementation of laws was a key factor encouraging violence against women.
In 2013, a total of five cases of sexual harassment were recorded, but the number increased to six in the past five months of the current year.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.