Taliban pour scorn on Obama’s decision
KABUL (Pajhwok): Taliban on Wednesday rejected President Barack Obama’s announcement that the US would have 9,800 troops in Afghanistan at the beginning of 2015 if the new president agreed to sign the bilateral security agreement.
The US president said the US would withdraw all its troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2016. “At the beginning of 2015, we will have approximately 9,800 US service members in different parts of the country, together with our NATO allies and other partners.”
In a statement he read to the nation from the White House Rose Garden, Obama said by the end of 2015, the US would have reduced that presence by roughly half, consolidating troops in Kabul and on Bagram Airfield.
But the insurgents group condemned the Obama’s announcement with regard of American troop size in Afghanistan.
In a statement, the Taliban said: “Leaving around 10,000 troops after 2014 in Afghanistan is tantamount to prolonging the occupation. Taliban reject the US decision and deem it a violation of human rights.”
Taliban had already made their stance public that the militants would fight on as long as there was presence of foreign forces in the country.
They asked the US to do the job right now that Washington was going to do it two years later so that people of the two countries should not hurt anymore, the statement added.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.