15 Taliban killed as Baghlan offensive continues
PUL-I-KHUMRI (Pajhwok): The Afghan military on Wednesday claimed killing 15 insurgents and arresting another eight during an operation in northern Baghlan province.
The operation involving personnel from Afghan National Army (ANA), police and Afghan Local Police (ALP) was underway in the Baghlan-i-Markazi district, ANA’s 209th Shaheen Military Corps commander Brig. Gen. Ghulam Farooq Ahmadi told Pajhwok Afghan News.
So far 15 insurgents had been killed and the eight detained, including a Pakistani, and another 10 rebels injured, he said.
Ahmadi said the operation that began three days was still ongoing Zikerkhel, Shafikhel and Himatkhel villages, all cleared from insurgents.
He said the operation would continue until all villages in the Baghlan-i-Markazi district were cleared of miscreants.
Area residents said the bodies of three militants remained on the battlefield and some were buried last night by the Taliban in farms belonging to locals.
Lal Mohammad, 50, a resident of Zikerkhel area, said the Taliban forced residents into offering them food and water and harassed those denying.
He said the Taliban had fled as a result of the ongoing operation that he wished to be the last one.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, confirmed the killing of only two fighters, saying five ANA soldiers were killed and six others wounded and a military tank destroyed.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.