Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Runoff: Salangi satisfied with security in north

Runoff: Salangi satisfied with security in north

Jun 07, 2014 - 15:34

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): Senior security officials on Saturday started consultations on how to improve and maintain security in the northern zone in the lead-up to and during the June 14 presidential runoff elections.

Security officials from the nine northern provinces held a meeting in Mazar-i-Sharif, the provincial capital of northern Balkh province, and presented reports about their security plans.

They decided to keep sharing reports about security measures they had taken in their respective provinces in order to discuss and devise plans.

Brig. Gen. Zalmai Weesa, the 209th Shaheen Military Corps commander in the zone, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the meeting discussed security arrangements put in place in the nine provinces as part of their coordination to improve security for the upcoming elections.

He said security operations were under way in Badakhshan’s Yamgan area, Kunduz’s Dasht-i-Archi district, Baghlan’s Baghlan-i-Markazi district, Faryab’s Pashtunkot, Qaisar and Almar and Badghis’s Ghormach district. He said the operations had positive results as more than 100 militants were killed and as many were wounded.

“But problems remain. However, efforts are underway to resolve them,” the commander said, adding there had been no major threat that could undermine the election in the north.

Deputy Interior Minister Mohammad Ayub Salangi, who attended the meeting, told Pajhwok Afghan News that security and government officials were invited to the meeting to assess security arrangements for the elections in the northern zone.

He said he was confident that the Afghans would participate in the runoff elections the way they did in the previous round on April 5.

He said it was their responsibility to pave the ground for people to participate in the elections, which he said would be conducted in a peaceful environmentinfo-icon.

Salangi was satisfied with security arrangements put in place in the northern zone and hoped the second round of presidential elections would pass off peacefully.

The deputy minister said his meetings with security officials in southern and eastern provinces showed there was not any serious problem that could disrupt the security situation.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update