Nimroz insecurity a bigger threat to runoff vote
ZARANJ (Pajhwok): People of southwestern Nimroz province expressed grave concern over growing insecurity ahead of runoff election slated for June 14, an official said on Tuesday.
Mohammad Nadir Baloch, deputy provincial council head, said there were several areas where government had no writ since last 13 years.
Talking to Pajhwok Afghan News, he said militants have strong presence in Rabat, Chahar Burjak, Diwalak, Khashrud and other districts.
The security forces had conducted several clearing operation to pure the areas of militants but insurgents staged comeback after every offensive, he added.
Khuda Nazar, a resident of chahar Burjak district, said people from the rebels infested areas did not participate in the first April 5 elections.
He said the first round of ballot was never fair and transparent and the same would be repeated in the runoff vote.
Police Chief Maj. Rehmatullah Nasir said militants some areas had been purged of militants. The security forces seized weapons and explosives from insurgents during the operation, he added.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.