Mobile SMS service suspended
KABUL (Pajhwok): In an effort to ensure transparency in the June 14 presidential election, the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT) on Thursday suspended the Short Message Service (SMS) of leading mobile phone companies operating in the country.
MCIT spokesman Nusrat Rahimi told Pajhwok Afghan News the step had been taken to ensure transparency in the crucial round of the presidential vote, scheduled for Saturday.
He said that leading private and state-run telecommunication companies had been directed to keep their SMS services suspended until Saturday evening to block canvassing through text messages.
He said stern action would be taken if any telecommunication company was found violating the ban. Under the electoral law, the campaign should conclude 48 hours ahead of the voting day.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.